The more I work with mature and experienced people, the more I have become aware of the myths out there. They are serious obstacles on the road to success, so dispelling them and taking action is vital!
Myth # 1 I know how to job hunt!
No! The way you used to do it, no longer works! Otherwise you would have a job.
Myth # 2 There are no jobs!
No! There are jobs, but you are using the wrong methods.
Myth # 3 The CV is a silver bullet!
No! In today’s market it has to be modern and user-friendly but for the experienced worker, it is merely a supporting document. It is also a resource to create an appropriate Resume, after you have used the methods that successful job-hunters use.
Everything has changed!
From the CV to the application, to research, to the preparation before the interview, to the interview itself – all new and different!
- The things that you ‘knew’ were important, no longer are. (Employers not thanking you or even responding to your application is one of the biggest bugbears!)
- There is more new research which shows us what successful job hunters do
- Employers do not read your CV
- Digital options have opened up many ways to find and take advantage of opportunities
- HR departments are using sophisticated digital methods to find applicants
You are the biggest obstacle!
Clinging to these myths allows you to stay in your comfort zone. But like a frog in a pot of cold water on a hot plate, the comfort zone can get increasing uncomfortable, if not fatal! Someone should be yelling: GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE!
That’s me yelling! 🙂
So if you have not already done so, please look at my Job-hunting Programme which teaches you how to tackle the job-hunt in the modern way.